In 1930 Eric Pasold, a 23-year-old man from Bohemia, inherited his family knitwear business, Pasold Limited, better known as Ladybird’s. Unable to import his goods into the country, he decided to build a new knitwear factory in Britain. He visited a number of potential sites, focusing on the Uxbridge area, but took a wrong turn and ended up at an almost square meadow south of Langley Station. The plot of land was to be developed into housing, but Pasold had found the location of his dreams.
Persuading the developers they could build their houses elsewhere, he also had to fight through strong local opposition, but by June 1932 his new factory was complete. Eric and his brother Rolf initially had a few problems, so much so that Eric lived in the freezing factory to save money. After a year things began to pick up and by 1934 they were receiving orders from Marks & Spencer and from the company that they were later to become synonymous with, Woolworths.
By 1953, Ladybird employed 663 people and the factory produced over 30,000 items a day. Sadly in the early 1980s the factory closed and in 1982 the factory was demolished with the illuminated ladybirds on the top of the factory tower, so long a local landmark, destroyed.
Between 1982 to 1990 the new industrial estate began to take shape with many smaller units being added to the site over this time. In 2013 a planning application was submitted to Slough Borough Council for the demolition of the existing business units and the erection of a large foodstore with petrol filling station – this application was later refused. Today, most of the business units are empty with the remaining units on short term flexible leases.
Langley Business Centre is situated with good transport links via both road and rail, being 1.5 miles from Junction 5 of the M4 providing swift access to the M25 and Heathrow Airport.
Langley mainline railway station is within easy walking distance and provides a journey time of 58 minutes to the City of London, which will be significantly reduced to 35 minutes when Crossrail opens.
The site is approximately 6.83 hectares and is made up of employment and industrial premises. The current site planning designation is for employment uses.